Pistachios are amongst the earliest and healthiest nuts known to human. Originally a native to Asia, Pistachios were amongst the first edible nuts that later became more popular. Pistachios are a drupe, which implies that the nut is, in fact, a large seed positioned in the fruit’s heart. The shell serves as a protection for the nut from damage alongside infections.
Pistachios are amongst the few nuts possessing most nutrients needs of the human body. These nutrients are necessary for maintaining good health. Pistachios are now available for investing in several forms, like salted or sweetened and shelled or unshelled. Well, the best method of consuming pistachios remains to buy them unshelled. The unshelled pistachios remain the least processed, thus making them the healthiest amongst the others.
Health Benefits of Pistachio
Along with its usual benefits provided by all nuts, Pistachio contains specific properties that make them unique and useful to our health. Stated below are the most exceptional health benefits of Pistachio ingestion:
- Pistachio makes the list of good dietary supplement.
- The carbohydrates, minerals, proteins, and vitamins contained in Pistachio provides daily benefits in the human body. These regular benefits include improving digestion, maintaining skin moisture, and eye protection especially from evolving early symptoms of aging.
- Pistachio Promotes Men’s Sexual Health. It is amongst the few nuts having a positive impact on men’s sexual health while improving erectile function. A study shows men between 38 and 59 with erectile dysfunction, recorded a 50% increase in erectile function when they consumed only 100 grams of pistachios daily for lunch for 1 year.
- Pistachio Decreases Cholesterol and makes the Heart Health better. It is amongst the well-known cholesterol reducing nutriments. Recent studies show that consumption of one to two servings of pistachios daily can decrease your cholesterol levels.
- Improves Ophthalmological Health. Pistachios are amongst the few nuts that are dietary carotenoids. They contain a significant amount of lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Pistachio Averts Anemia. Pistachio contains significant amounts of copper which aid the body’s ability to absorb iron from food. This nut is very helpful in averting conditions like anemia.
- Pistachios are Good Source of Dietary Fiber. They possess a sizable amount of dietary fiber, which covers a good portion of our required daily intake. They are helpful in smoothing food digestion.
- Pistachio Help in maintaining healthy beautiful skin. Pistachio contains a reasonable concentration of unsaturated and saturated fatty acids. They both contribute to our body health. The saturated fats avert skin dryness and also restores skin moisture (in cases of dry skin).
- Pistachio aids in Controlling Diabetes. Recent research shows that daily consumption of pistachio has a positive influence on cholesterol ratios, total cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- Pistachio is Helpful in Losing Weight. The consumption of pistachios not only aids in weight balance maintenance, but it also helps in weight loss.
The Side Effects of Pistachio
With the overall benefits of Pistachio, Doctors and nutritionists also caution about its side effects which must also be noted. Cases of sensitivity and other side effects are already known. Below are the side effects of Pistachio.
- Lead to Weight Gain. Although the high fiber and protein content makes them satisfying, excess consumption of this nut could lead to gaining weight.
- High Blood Pressure. The artificial additives present in salted or sweetened pistachios may become may become harmful as the presence of high sodium or sugar content may lead to high blood pressure.
- Individuals with a sensitivity towards fructans are advised to refrain from the consumption of pistachios as it could lead to gastrointestinal side effects.
Pistachio nuts comprise of several healthy and heart-protective fats alongside offering several vital minerals and vitamins. They are instrumental and find extensive usage in savory cooking along with baking. Pistachio is beneficial, but you should also look out for its side effect.